by Amy
So, Brad just read my blog and said I should tell everyone why my eggs didn't turn purple when I mixed red and blue dye.....
The most common eggs here are brown. You can buy them in any grocery store, at any market, and often even at the gate of my apartment complex. But, white eggs....now those are a different story. I've never personally ever seen anyone selling white eggs, but I know they exist. Last year Leigh (my house helper) tracked them down! Last year's Easter eggs turned out really well.
This year, we asked another friend to help me buy white eggs. She agreed to buy 300 white eggs, boil them and bring them to me. (We gave each kid a plain egg and markers so they could decorate it in class. Therefore I only needed to dye 200 eggs.) But, my friend, like many locals, decided she knew what I wanted better than I did! Since she could save me 3cents a pound by buying light brown eggs instead of white eggs, that's what she bought. She knew I'd rather save a little money and have brown eggs instead of white. --- Right??? Wrong!!!
So, I took the brown eggs and soaked them in blue dye. They turned blueish brown. Then, I soaked some other eggs in red dye. They turned pinkish-brown. So, I hoped that when I mixed the red and blue waters together and poured them over the brown eggs, they'd turn purple. They didn't. The actually turned deeper brown. Bummer....
When we dyed eggs the second time around, Leigh found white eggs at a market (very near to where the brown eggs were purchased) for 30 cents a pound CHEAPER than the brown eggs. It's a good think the kids at the school didn't know how bright and vibrant Easter eggs are supposed to be!
And that's "the rest of the story!" (I love Paul Harvey!)
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment