Monday, September 27, 2010

Bloggin' Blahs...

by Amy

I've been in a blogging funk lately.  I haven't felt like there's been anything blog-worthy happening in my world, so I just couldn't come up with anything to say.  Finally, we went to the beach town last month, so I decided I could at least post some pictures for my dad to see.  But, he since has informed me that those pictures were nice, but now they're OLD!  So, we just got home from Hong Kong, so I promise to post some new pics soon....

I have not only been in a blogging funk lately, but it seems my whole life has been in a funk.  If my mom could see me lately, she'd say I've been frumpy.  As Brad and I were talking about it last night, I think there's been a combination of things that have affected my outlook on life.  One of the main factors has been the weather.  I've never really thought of myself as one who is affected by the weather, but I think it's played a huge role in my attitude over the last couple of months.  I don't mean to complain, but our skies have been gray for almost 2 months straight (maybe more, actually.)  Not cloudy gray where you can see cool designs in the sky, but heavy, low, solid pollution gray.  There have been many days that I could not see the store half a km away from my 13 story window. (I have no idea how to say that in miles - maybe half a km is 1/3 mile - I don't know.)  And, on top of that, the street in front of our apartment complex has been under construction since early June.  The gray skies of the last few months often gave way to rain which turned our "street" into a muddy swamp.  It was smelly, slimy and yucky - and couldn't be avoided if I needed to leave my apartment complex!

Thankfully, the Lord knew what I would need long before I did.  Back in February, when Sue bought her plane tickets to come visit us, we planned a trip to Hong Kong.  Right as I was at my breaking point, we got on an airplane and flew away....  After being in HK for a few days, seeing blue skies and big puffy clouds, the tension began to drain from my neck and shoulders.  I was able to laugh and have fun with my kids - outside!  I wasn't trying to hold back tears as I opened the curtains each morning.  It was a great, much needed break.  And, as we drove home from the airport, (through the thick, hazy pollution) I almost shed tears of relief when I saw that the mud was covered by concrete outside my house!  I'm sure that was arranged just for me by my loving Heavenly Father, who promises never to give me more than I can handle.  =)

Now that we're back to normal life here, I'm working hard to getting my heart and attitude back to normal as well.  I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I was before our trip.  The Lord is faithful.  He will draw near to those that draw near to Him.  Thankfully, my joy isn't found in blue skies and clean streets!

Now, for all those who only read my blog to see pics, here's a preview of the HK post that's coming soon....



 

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Amy-
I was surprised myself when about 6 years ago I realized I was greatly affected by the weather! Sometimes in Louisville it would be gray skies for 2 weeks (not 2 months, but still long for me) and I was just craving the sun!! We just don't have that many grey days inTexas! Anyway, we moved to Charlotte, NC last month and it is so sunny here! Even though we don't have friends yet and it is lonely, at least we have had great weather!! I will pray for you attitudes-it can be challenging! Blessings, Ginger

Kevin and Becky said...

Thanks for your honesty, Aim. And I'm still convinced the last week of blue skies have been for you.