Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Rockin' Coffee Cake

by Amy

Since I got so many comments on the last cake recipe I posted, I thought I'd post another one for your dining enjoyment.

This cake recipe is also from The Cake Mix Doctor. She calls it Kathy's Cinnamon Breakfast Cake. It's Brad's favorite breakfast! We have it every year for his birthday breakfast. It's really yummy! But, since it's large and our whole family can't (or shouldn't) eat it all in one sitting, I often cut the recipe in half. I'll give you measurements for the full and my "half" version, which isn't always exactly half.

full (half)

filling:

1/3 (1/4) cup brown sugar
2 (1+) teaspoon ground cinnamon

cake batter:

1 box of yellow cake mix (1 1/2 cups of mix, not packed)

1 small box vanilla pudding mix (1/3 cup mix)

3/4 cup veggie oil (6 Tablespoons)

3/4 cup water (6 Tablespoons)

4 eggs (2)

1 teaspoon vanilla (1/2 teaspoon)

Glaze:

1 cup powder sugar

2 Tables milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Select a pan and grease it. The Cake Mix Doctor recommends you use a bundt pan, but since I don't have one here, I always bake it in my 9x13. If I make half the recipe, I use a round 9in pan.

2.Then, in a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Then, set aside.

3. Place the ingredients for the batter in a bowl and mix thoroughly, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.

4. Pour half the batter in the prepared pan. You want to err on the side of pouring less than half in the pan instead of more than half. The batter will be really thick.

5. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on the top of the batter.

6. Cover the cinnamon sugar with the rest of the batter. Since the batter is so thick, you'll have to carefully pour it evenly since you won't be able to spread it without messing up the cinnamon sugar.

7. Bake it until it's done! :) If you use a bundt pan, the she says it will take about 58-60 minutes. When I bake it in a 9x13 it usually takes 30-35 (or more) minutes. The 9in cake pan usually is about the same.

8. While the cake is baking make the glaze. Make as much or as little as you like. I typically make a full recipe of glaze when I bake half a recipe. You can pour the glaze on the cake before you serve it, or you can serve it on the side and let people individually ice their own pieces. (That's what we do, so we need more glaze than the recipe requires.)

9. Serve it warm and enjoy!!

** Free Tip: If you're using this as a birthday breakfast, don't put candles into a warm cake unless you want them to melt through the cake....

No comments: