Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Joys of Being a Foreigner!

by Amy


Being a foreigner definitely has it's drawbacks, but there are a few perks... For example, our Wal-Mart is on the second and third floors of a four story building. You can enter Wal-Mart from the second or third floor, but they only want you to exit from the second floor by the check-out counters. On the fourth floor, there's a fun arcade that our kids call "Chuck-E-Cheese." (not quite, but it's as good as it gets here!) Anyway, there have been several times on our way to the arcade where I've run into Wal-Mart to see if they have a particular item. But -- shocker -- they did not. Well, I don't want to drag the kids all the way downstairs to exit the store just to go back up again. So, I don't... I exit through the entrance on the third floor. As the greeter tries to stop me (speaking Asianeese, of course) I speak loudly and slowly in English, " I DID NOT BUY ANYTHING! I AM GOING UP STAIRS, NOT DOWN. THANK YOU, THANK YOU." It usually ends in both of us laughing and her letting me pass as my kids are already half way up the escalators....

Well, the other day we were having dryer issues.... We've been having dryer issues for about a year, actually. But, this last week I noticed a drastic turn for the worst, so since we were leaving town for a week, it was great time to have them take my machine away and fix it. I think Brad's mentioned before how difficult it is to find good laborers here ... they don't get paid much, and don't have much incentive to work hard. To make a long story short, we were not pleased with the worker and he knew it. After asking several times, he would not give us his name. So, while he was on the phone explaining to Leigh (my house helper), his repair plan, Brad took his picture, (to have on file if we need to complain about him.) He definitely wasn't sure what to think about that, but what could he say? Oh, the things we get way with by being foreigners!

No comments: