From Brad.
Today when I went to get online, I realized that my wireless router wasn't working. We brought it over from the States and it has worked great. However, not today. I suspected that the cord might be the problem due to problems in the past, but I wasn't sure. Well, this left me with no Internet since I couldn't just plug the Ethernet cord directly into my computer since it wasn't configured correctly. So we called the Internet company and they were shocked that we had a problem. Well they came, and I was able to explain what had happened.
Now a quick aside. I have complained before that many workers/servicemen in this country tend to take a minimalist approach to their work. For whatever reason, they want to do the quickest, easiest fix possible, even if it means they must come out the next day to 'fix' it again. This is not the case with the Internet guy (who came to our house today for the 3rd time since we moved in). In the first place, he doesn't speak much English at all, but was willing and able to work with my computer and get it online when we first got here. Today, he was willing to come out although it probably wasn't his job to. When he found out the problem, he got right to work and was able to configure my computer so I could surf without the router. Then, I asked him about replacing my router cord here in China. I mentioned it wasn't his job to do this and I would gladly pay him to check into it. He said he would do what he could. Thirty minutes after he left, he called me and asked if he could take the router and cord to a local store. He picked them up, went to the store, and returned with a cord that worked and the whole thing only cost $5 (the cost of the cord). He dedicated his whole morning to me and absolutely would not take a $5 tip, and mentioned that friends don't charge friends to do things. All this to say, I am very thankful for him and the kindness he showed. I'll hopefully remember this the next time a plumber comes to my house, grabs a brush, swashes it around in my toilet for 1 minute, tells me my toilet is fixed and asks for his $12 fee. :)
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment