Thursday, April 19, 2007

Expectations vs. Reality

Wow! Yesterday was our first full day in our new city! We spent the morning walking the city streets with a friend and a realtor. We looked at three apts. (We plan on looking at more this morning.) Then, after a yummy, yummy lunch of chicken fingers and mac'n cheese, salad (with ranch dressing!) and awesome fried potatoes, we put our kids down for a nap at Rachel's house, and Brad and I went exploring alone. After a full day on the streets of my new home, I'll tell you what I expected vs what I really found:

I expected the streets to be covered with trash.
Really, they were pretty clean.

I expected the air to be so hazy I could hardly see.
Really, it was a beautiful day with a BLUE sky! (I hear that's pretty rare, but I'm so thankful our first day was blue!)

I expected to be rebuked my many older women because my kids didn't have on any jackets.
Really, I don't understand the language well enough to hear the rebukes! Only one lady was explicit enough for me to understand her concern about lack of jackets. :) (I carried jackets in my backpack, just in case my kids were too cool, but they weren't!)

I expected to be starving because I "can't" eat the local food.
Really, I've probably gained weight because the food Rachel has served us has been so great! Today for lunch Rachel's house helper will serve us local food, so we'll see....

I expected my kids to get lost, run over or be completely exhausted while walking around town.
Really, they were awesome! They walked for such a long time yesterday morning with out much complaint at all!

I expected to drink yucky, shelf-life milk with some form of funny, local cereal.
Really ~ not only did Rachel give us "real" milk, but also Honey Bunches of Oats, my all time, forever favorite!

I expected to have way more time to write this post.
Really, my kiddos need my help and attention right now!

Final expectation: I expected to be blessed and guided by my Father.
Really, He has blessed us beyond belief! Thank you, thank you, Father!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey friend!

I'm so impressed. You've been there for less than 48 hours and already you've posted. I just knew you'd be good at this! Thanks for keeping us connected.

Love and miss you bunches!

P.S. Kudos to Rachel on the H.B. of O. !!! :)

carol morello said...

Hi Amy and Brad,
What a blessing it is to hear and see the postings of your new life and experiences. It is so informative, and the photos are really beatiful.
The Lord has you under His wing, and your blessing are obvious. Take care, and keep blogging!!!

With Love, Aunt Carol\

PS I log on to you guys on a regular basis, and keep you in my prayers,too.